Sunday 19 May 2019

Painting a Callipogon barbatus longhorn beetle in acrylics.



Painting a Callipogon barbatus, in acrylics.
16x12”
I favour painting on Fabriano artistico 600lb hot pressed watercolour paper.
First a glassine shilled is cut to protect the paper from marks and damage, the beetle is drawn out by hand and traced, flipping one side to the other to make it symmetrical, 
Then transferred onto the paper and drawn again using the faint guidelines, producing an accurate drawing ready to paint.
As a first layer I block in the various sections with the darkest colour I can see on the specimen, later I will gradually build up layer after layer of detail and texture, adding highlights, individual hairs, bristles, dimples and pimples that the specimen has. I use opaque acrylic but in later stages I enjoy using multiple washes of transparent glazes which create the illusion of iridescence and sheen.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Painting a Goldfinch in egg tempera on a Triptych icon panel.

This is a handmade Triptych from Ukraine, it is traditionally prepared with a gesso surface and stretchers on the backs of each panel to pr...